Translate

Monday, February 3, 2014

Is it February already? Wait. Is it June yet?

It's snowing again in New York City.  In the ten years I've lived here, I've never seen so much snow, and honestly, I'm ready for a change.  And we still have all of February and March. I'm looking forward to my yearly art retreat in Key Largo even more this year than ever.

Do you ever get to that time between books where you just can't warm up to anything? I get the preview/sample on Amazon for my iPad and start reading, but can't warm up to it. Then I try another. And another. I feel like those people who go to dating services and can't settle on one person because there are so many to choose from.  Any suggestions for a book you read and really enjoyed?

I've been doing a reflective journaling class on the Oprah Network with Brene Brown, called The Gifts of Imperfection. It's a pairing with Brene's book on this topic. The subtitle is: Let go of who you  think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are.  My pages from the first three weeks are below.


The first part was just giving ourselves permission to be imperfect.




And this one is permission slips on that same theme. Inside that heart is a paper with the names of people I can trust with my thoughts and feelings. I'm blessed with many. Some people in the class had none, and for that, I feel true sympathy.


Reflecting on my younger self and what I like about her.



Looking back in time with words of advice to my younger self.  "Whispers" The photo at left was taken just at the time of my divorce. The photo at right was just after I got married the first time, age 23.

This class is less about the "art" than about the reflections and the journaling. It's kind of freeing, really. And fun that I'm doing it together with a friend, because we're having some great talks about each week's topic.

If you looked back at yourself from an important moment in your past, what advice would you give?

3 comments:

Aimeslee said...

Nice pages, Teri. And I'm with ya about the cold. I'm so over it and I'm down here, lol. When you asked about books, I immediately thought of one that I loved from the get-go, much to my surprise! I will message the link to you on FB. xoxo

Janet Ghio said...

I know exactly what you mean about warming up to a book. I check out lots of books from the library at a time because I figure that probably a third of them won't strike my fancy and I can't think of anything worse than being without a book to read! i just finished a good one "Reconstructing Amelia"

Lisa said...

What a great journal!