Translate

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Altered Book Pages

I have been working on several ongoing collaborative projects, including two different altered book groups. The topic for the first pages is "Alchemy," the idea of changes in substance or matter. I decided to go with a medieval view of the alchemist and created a mini tunnel book as a tip in.  I used lots of layers of stencils, paints, cray pas, printed images, ink and pencil on this spread. I love the way the light shines through when you open out the pages.






This spread, below, is about myths and secrets, and I chose to do the Loch Ness Monster. I gelli printed book pages and then acrylic painted a stylized, painterly sea creature. Beneath the waves lurks  some theories about Nessie.  I was so caught up in looking for myths and legends for this challenge that I had a hard time choosing which one to do.  JFK, Bermuda Triangle, Alien Abductions, Jimmy Hoffa -- I mean, I could have just had a stack of garbage with a body hidden under it for that one!






11 comments:

Eileen Bellomo said...

Love them both, especially the medieval one. Wish I could see it in person. I've done two altered books and have to say, loved every minute of working in them. I guess the combination of art and construction really appeals to me.
Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Anna Micciulla said...

These are gorgeous! I remember when Bob and I went to Scotland to get married. We drove down the lochs and stopped at Loch Ness. What a beautiful place. Try as we might, we saw no Nessie though!

Anna Micciulla said...

These are gorgeous! I remember when Bob and I went to Scotland to get married. We drove down the lochs and stopped at Loch Ness. What a beautiful place. Try as we might, we saw no Nessie though!

Janet Ghio said...

Wonderful pages-especially the first set. Wish i could see that one in person.

Lori Wostl said...

Great work Teri - I think my next book will be a tunnel book - they are so fun - and yours is just delicious!

Lorena said...

I'm sitting here with a big old smile on my facing KNOWING that those drop-dead gorgeous pages are for my Alchemy book! I love all of the artwork that people have created for my book so far and your Medieval tunnel book just upped the bar! Your combination of colors and layers is beautifully rich and complex. Lucky me! I adore your Loch Ness monster pages too! So playful :-)

Melody Strahan said...

Awesome Teri!

Now I need to go research tunnel books...

Shirley said...

Love the tunnel book pages. I hope that you have pictures for us to see "up close."

Lisa said...

Lovely as always!

Monica Smith said...

I haven't been into Bloglovin for a week as I seem to see half the stuff on FB. so I hunted down the list to find the ones from people who don't do that. Both very interesting books and seem like you had fun making them. you must have given Cody a sleeping draft to get them done!!!

Aimeslee said...

Oh my my my Teri - I suspect even Alisa Golden herself would drool over these pages. They are both truly wonderful. Girl, you are art-rockin' 2014 with a vengeance! I'm always excited to see what you do next, xoxo.